Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Subtle Knife: Dark Materials, Book II by Philip Pullman

This young adult novel is not nearly as popular as it should be. The story has as much power, interest, and excitement as Harry Potter -- only with a bit more adult politics, religion, and violence. Those who saw The Golden Compass as I did, and thoroughly enjoyed it, as I did, will want to pick up the sequel. My only regret is that I do not have volume three with me, since volume two ends on a figurative and literal cliff-hanger.

The story is thoroughly original, although it does have the typical fantasy tropes of heroes, helpers, evil beings, and an epic struggle between good and evil. The bad guys have only the thinnest of disguises, and I hope the issue of the good guys will be resolved in book three.

I find myself grading hundreds of essays for ETS, and that is the only reason it took so long to read. As soon as I get home, I am going to dive into book three. I will write more when I finish that volume. The series still has a solid five stars.

--Chiron, 6/15/10

No comments: