Saturday, March 08, 2008

Kristin Lavransdatter I: The Wreath by Sigrid Undset

So many people raved about this novel. Several declared it the best novel they had ever read. I had heard of Undset, and I had read something by her years ago, but that book has been lost. My principle period of literature is medieval, so I thought I was a natural match with this three volume epic.

Alas, I invoked the rule of fifty after the first chapter. I found it boring and confusing. I could not tell the names apart, I felt the descriptions were cliched and tiresome. I also had no idea the novel was so religious, although that does explain the attraction for several of the people who recommended it.

Too many books, too little time to waste on something I do not enjoy. I put a bookmark in the page where I left off and returned all three volumes to the shelf. Perhaps I will come back to it some day.

--Chiron, 3/8/08

No comments: